2 Days 1 Night Altai Ski Touring in Pyhä-Luosto
Explore the true Arctic wilderness on Altai skis, across the thick snowblanket of vast aapa bogs and through old-growth forest. Spend an unforgettable night in a real Finnish wilderness hut in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the Lappish peacefulness.
Entry-level overnight ski tour to Yrjölä hut in Pyhä-Luosto National Park, with a view towards Ukko-Luosto fell. A qualified wilderness & skiing guide will lead the tour and share his/her knowledge about the surrounding nature and wilderness travel tradition. Skiers will pull not-so-heavy ahkio sled (also called often pulka) for their personal equipment, which adds the right kind of spirit (and therefore, a day backpack is not necessary for this tour).
Skiers will spend a night in a cosy and warm wilderness hut. In the evening you can experience a real wood heated Finnish sauna (including a rolling-in-snow option). Aftewards you may fall asleep letting the mind-calming silence sinking in.
This is a great opportunity to learn the basics of more challenging multi-day ski tours in the wilderness: skiing technique & strategy, packing the sled, the daily maintenance routine, weather factor, etc. During the ski tour you may also practice various Arctic skills with the Bliss guide: navigation in Taiga forest, use of the tradit puukko knife, fire making in snowy environment, wilderness cooking methods, and so on.
PRICE OF OVERNIGHT SKI TOUR
The price vary depending on how many people are booking at the same time as follows:
1-2 PAX: 649 € per person
3 PAX: 549 € per person
4 PAX: 499 € per person
5 PAX: 449 € per person
6-10 PAX: 399 € per person
In case you have already made a booking and want to add more people to your group booking, please contact us first. You may email us at email@example.com or give us a call at +358 40 530 2206.
- Breakfast (not included)
- Meeting either at the CAMP Kitchen & Bar in Pyhä or at the Lapland Hotels Luostotunturi in Luosto at 9:00
- Transportation to Luostonloma parking place, near Torvisen maja
- Wilderness skiing tour starts at 10:30
- Outdoor lunch in the Arctic wilderness
- We will reach our destination by 16:00
- Heating up the hut
- The Finnish Sauna Experience by knowledgeable Bliss Sauna Guide
- Overnight stay in Yrjölä Wilderness Hut
- Wake up and packing, breakfast at 8:00
- In the morning we will ski back towards Ukko-Luosto Fell
- Outdoor lunch in the Arctic wilderness
- After lunch we will leave our touring pulks for a while and climb up to admire the magnificent scenery of the surrounding aapa bogs and hills as well as the old-growth forests of which some of the trees are 400-years-old. The grand Ukko-Luosto Fell rises from the area's fell chain to a height of 514 metres (uphill skiing will be customized to fit the group's stamina and ambitions).
- Ski tour ends to Luosto approximately at 16:00
- Transportation back to Pyhätunturi area by 17:00 (for those who are staying in Pyhä)
- B = Breakfast
- L = Lunch
- D = Dinner
- Weather permitting. Bliss Adventure reserves the right to make changes to the tour program, any time without prior notice.
Transportation either from Pyhä or Luosto to the starting point of the skiing – and back to Pyhä/Luosto
Dormitory accommodation in the wilderness hut (1 night)
Meals mentioned in the itinerary
Wilderness skiing equipment rental (incl. gaiters)
Touring sled rental
English speaking wilderness & skiing guide's services and storytelling
The guide will be available 24/7 to respond clients' any need
No skiing experience is required to enjoy wilderness skiing safely in forest. However, a certain level of fitness and right attitude is a must. Both days the ski tour will be customized to fit the group's stamina and ambitions.
The day before a ski tour briefing will be held either at the CAMP Kitchen & Bar Pyhä or at the Lapland Hotels Luostotunturi at 19:30. A Bliss guide will check the clients' clothing and the other possible personal equipment for the tour (if clothing or shoes not fully suitable for the activity, the Bliss guide will search a local rental solutions). OPTIONAL: Capturing Auroras photography workshop at 20:00, giving the participants useful photo skills for the rest of their stay in Lapland (not included in the price).
Altai ski is a short, easy-to-use forest ski that combines the best features of a snowshoe. With a partial climbing skin integrated into the base, the ski climbs with ease. The skin also makes the ski slower and easier to control than traditional skis. The ski’s short, wide design makes it incredibly maneuverable, ideal for thick woods and variable terrain, a truly all-purpose backcountry tool.
From Rovaniemi, the closest airport and Santa Claus’ headquarters, it takes approximately two hours by car or by Skibus to reach us either in Pyhä (Hotel Pyhätunturi) or in Luosto (Lapland Hotel Luostotunturi).
Kindly note that 10% of the price of your tour is non-refundable. The 10% will be used to cover fees connected to your booking such as credit card transactions and other administrative charges. Refunds will only be issued to the card used to purchase the tour.
Mitä minun tulee tuoda mukana?
Participants must arrive prepared with suitable clothing for cold winter weather. Layers required. A detailed clothing and equipment list will be sent to you when you book your trip. Don’t forget your camera at home, since wilderness skier tends to get to gorgeous places rarely seen people on foot or by car.