Old time yacht sailing to Örö in Archipelago National Park
Sail into the past on this wonderful voyage from Kasnäs peninsula in Kemiönsaari municipality to Örö fortress island. Dive into the naval history of the island spanning hundreds of years into the past, to the time of Russian tsars and enjoy archipelago fl
Join us on an old-time sailing adventure into Finland’s military history! We will be visiting the fortress island of Örö, in the archipelago of Turku. The island is unique in both its fragile nature and long history as a military fortress. The island’s history as a fortress began under Russian rule during 1910’s, as part of Peter the Great’s marine fortifications and has been used by the military ever since. Military operations on the island have created ideal conditions for many rare species of flora and fauna. The island was opened to the public in 2015 and is now part of the Archipelago Sea National Park.
Yacht Eugenia, built in 2000, is a copy of an actual vessel built on Bolax island and sailed 1879-1951.
Our local guide leads you through the history of the old military fortress. You have also free time to explore the secrets of the island on your own. The natural environment of Örö is unique featuring a large number of threatened plants, butterflies and habitats.
You have also time to enjoy a delicious lunch in the Örö Fortress island restaurant that is located in one of the old buildings from Russian times over 100 years ago. Or in the bistro by the seashore. (Lunch not included in the price). On the return trip coffee with buns will be served.
Departures from Kasnäs (Kemiönsaari) on Tuesdays 28 June – 9 August, 2022
- Departure from Kasnäs at 10.00 am
- Return arrival 5.00
There is a restaurant on Örö island, where you can eat at your own expense if you like.
- 7 hours sailing tour to the Archipelago National Park
- truly ecological experience sailing with the power of wind
- professional guide
- guided tour on the island, about the sailing traditions, local culture, history and nature
- possibility to participate in tasks onboard
- beautiful scenery
- coffee and buns on the return trip Includes: Sailing program, coffee onboard, entry to the canons, guided tour of Örö
- Our guides are professional local and nature guides
- The whole trip takes 7 hours. (3 h to Örö, 2 h on the island and 2 h back to Kasnäs).
- Departure: from Kasnäs harbor in the southernmost peninsula of Kemiönsaari. Arrival by car from Helsinki 2 h, Turku 1,5 h, Tampere 3 h and Jyväskylä 4 h. There are free parking places in Kasnäs. Please reserve some extra time for parking.
- There are two restaurants on Örö where you can have lunch at your own expense. On the return trip there will be coffee and buns onboard (included in the price).
- Clothing according to the weather, hiking shoes recommended.